The Much Awaited IELTS Result Arrived Today

So Much Anticipation and Delay

I took the IELTS (International English Language Testing System) test last February 27th, 2010, Saturday in The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Makati and anticipated the result to be delivered through LBC last March 12, 2010(which is exactly 13 days after the test date).

However, since I am in the provincial area, I had to wait for a couple more days. You won't believe just how much anticipation did I experience while waiting. I am not normally easily excited and nervous at the same time but I got to be honest that I was pretty nervous with the result (I was pretty cool during the examination day though I wasn't able to prepare) but for some weird reasons, I was really anxious. Mom called LBC, the official courier that IDP usually send the results to, but the receptionist said that there was none.

When I called yesterday, she said that they've already resent it to Paseo deo Roxas, Makati (where IDP is). I was a little infuriated how come the much awaited result was resent. She reasoned that they didn't find me in the address that I provided. My anxiety increased and so was the tension deep inside me. I then offered a prayer that no matter what the result may be, I know the Lord's plan for me is to prosper and not to harm me.

Even if I was a little furious with the errors in the delivery, I managed to negotiate with the receptionist in LBC that she would contact me as soon as the mail would arrive in their office. At around 8:30 this morning, I got a text message from the same receptionist informing me that my mail has arrived. (thug thug thug). So the much awaited IELTS result has arrived after all the delays that it has gone through. I waited until I took my break and walked to Diversion road since it's pretty close to Callbox. While walking I was already preparing myself for whatever the result was. Again, I thanked God in advance whatever the scores were.

What is usually a 5-minute walk from Callbox to Andoks Lechon Manok (LBC is just across the street) turned into 3-minute walk as I lengthen my stride and kept a fast pacing. There I saw one of the delivery motorcycles embossed with the letters LBC. I kept walking and noticed that their glass door handle was broken. I walked in and told the lady in the front desk that I am going to pick up a mail for Jonha Revesencio. She recognized the name and, "Oh yeah, wait a sec". I smiled and asked if she's the lady I spoke with over the phone yesterday and she nodded in affirmation.

I carefully signed the documents attesting my receipt of the said mail while glancing at my mobile phone's clock. It's 2:43 PM (which is 8 minutes in advance to Callbox time). I didn't hurry, I did so much of that while walking. I thanked the lady and opened the package. I carefully opened the white envelope of a size like the normal envelopes you get during Christmas day which contains Christmas cards. Right, the content of the said envelope is much more than a Christmas card. It would determine my future. I tore the plastic envelope of LBC and opened the white envelope. I saw my picture, then I had to flip the document since it was folded (now they sure know how to create some suspense, huh). I needed to review it before I could be certain.

Test Results

The girl in the photo is much prettier in person, I assure you.


Listening: 6.0
Reading: 6.0
Writing: 7.0
Speaking: 8.0
Overall Band Score: 7.0

The Preparation

My preparation focused more on what to say to my Team Leader so I would be allowed to take my 5 days leave out of my bountiful leave bank of 18.5 days (I guess it's 14.5 now since I incur 1.75 per month but I can't be sure, I am not good with figures and thank God it wasn't included in the IELTS test). My aunties from Austin, Texas decided to take a few weeks vacation in my mom's hometown in Bangued, Abra. I knew right then that it would be a perfect time to rest a bit from all my work and hopefully get to take the IELTS.

When my Production Leader approved my vacation leave, you wouldn't guess just how much elated I was. It was a mixture of excitement to get to see my aunties and to hopefully get to take the IELTS test. I keep on saying hopefully because I had my friend print the application form downloaded from IDP's website but I wasn't sure if I could still make it to last few slots scheduled for February 27th, 2010 which also happen to be in Makati (usually they have provincial tests held in Iloilo, Bacolod and Cebu) so I still hoped I could.

Makati, Manila

I told myself, If I am not going to pass the IELTS examination, at least I have this blue ballpen and a pocket calendar from IDP (Yeah right, worth Php 8,620,lol)

Me and my mom traveled on Sunday through RORO (Philippine government's clever project for cheaper transportation called Roll-on Roll-off wherein the bus embarks into a ship then rolls off once it reached another port, wherein it would roll on to another ship. I won't tell you much about the travel because it was really exhausting and I think more I think about it, typing becomes more exhausting). On Monday, Tita Ellen (a family friend we met here in Iloilo) met us in the bus terminal. She lives in Makati and I thought right then that she was heaven sent. Almost all of the transactions that I would be doing would be in Makati.

On Monday morning we went to IDP office in 2/F Piooneer House Makati 108 Paseo de Roxas Legaspi Village, Makati. We took the cab since Tita Ellen confessed that she barely goes to that area of Makati anymore. The last time she went there was during her teenage years (trust me, you wouldn't want to know how long it has been). The IDP Office was in a rather old building which speaks for its name--Pioneer. I had Tita Ellen schedule an appointment with the agents in IDP so they were already expecting us to drop by. I talked with Sheryl Anne Calais and she told me I need to take the IELTS before we could proceed to any other processes. She told me to wait for March 6th (which would be held in Bacolod--oh no, I wouldn't have any excuses to travel again!) but I told her that I am from Iloilo and that I only had 1 week vacation leave from my work. They considered that and I was given only a day to process my IELTS application. But the problem arose, I hoped to take the IELTS test but I didn't bring any extra money with me. When I said extra money, the IELTS test fee is Php 8,620. Sheryl said I need to pay the said amount within the day so I could get myself registered and be able to take the test on Saturday (you read it right, I told them I want to take the test 5 days after, even without any review preparation). Confident that I would be able to raise the money, I told her I am going home to get the said amount. Me and Tita Ellen again took the cab. I explained to my mom when we arrived that I would need Php 8,620 to take the IELTS. Me and mom gave each other the same look when we both realize we made some mistake. The day before we travel to Manila, she asked me if I would take my Citi Savings Bank (No dear it's not the prestigious International Citi Bank if that's what you're imagining, it's a Thrift Bank) passbook with me. I told her I wouldn't need it. So my mom gave me the I-Told-You look. I tried to intervene right away by telling her that I wouldn't be able to withdraw my money anyway since seeping through the whole city just to look for a branch of my thrift bank wouldn't be as much helpful. It was 3:30 in the afternoon. I sent a text message to almost all my former highschool class-friends to lend me the said amount because, I, Jonha Ducayag Revesencio, having been so silly to prepare for what I hope for, badly needed the money for IELTS (I wonder if they know what that is until maybe they read this post).

No one replied. I guess "Hello how are you?" is much more respondable than "Hey I need some monetary help".

Then the phone rang. It was my cousin, Ate Baby, currently working in Cyprus. OMG, is that how fast the Lord responds?! I knew right then and there that it was her that the Lord has answered my prayer through. I explained to her what I needed and that she was just in time to save me! I didn't need to explain it a lot to my cousin because she understood that I wouldn't ask for her help unless I badly needed to. I told her I would pay the money by Monday. I ended up paying it on Tuesday since I was too busy.

Me, my mom and Tita Ellen withdraw the money in the nearest Banco de Oro branch. Clutching the bills in my hands and carefully tucking it in my pouch, I couldn't believe at how fast God answered my prayer. It was a prayer that wasn't uttered loudly. It was a simple prayer that if God wants me to take the test, He will provide. He did both.

Review for the IELTS Examination

I would be the last worthy person to speak about this since I literally didn't get any chance to prepare. I needed to travel from Makati to Abra on Tuesday evening then be back on Friday evening for the test on Saturday morning. Sounds fun, huh? Well here are my preparations. When were were on our way to Manila from Abra (I know, didn't get to spend so much time in my mom's hometown because I had a test to take the next day was my usual reason to people asking me why such a brief moment in Abra), I ate almost all the food I could lay my eyes to. Believe me, I was so hungry that I could have eaten a horse to satisfy it. I ate boiled corn (maybe the first thing that I would miss about Abra is the generously packed corns), bibingka (rice cake, at least I think it is), peanuts and a bunch of many other foods. Trust me, if you want something indulge yourself because it will motivate you during the examination. I thought of how I gave everything to myself and promised myself that I would indulge into any food I want if I pass. Oh yeah so my mom was asking me to buy her a pint of ice cream tomorrow, I wouldn't mind pairing it with pizza.

3 W's of Preparation for Any Test (of Life)

1. Wish
Wish or hope that you would pass it. We all want to have high scores but if you're like me, don't expect too much since I don't deserve it much. People who spent almost everyday attending rigorous seminars and trainings in review centers deserve higher scores, so I can't murmur about getting 6.0 in Listening and Reading. Wish that you will pass.

2. Work
If you didn't prepare like me, you need to pray a lot and really dig upon your stored knowledge. Work work towards remembering all the what used to be irrelevant lessons that your teachers in high school and college taught. I developed my speaking skills while in high school. I developed a fond of reading (though it wasn't obvious in my test score, haha) during college. Those little lessons in the past are worth remembering (especially if that's all you could count on).

3. Wait
When I finished taking the examination, all I wanted to do was get a hold of the result. I guess the Lord knows we all want some things at some point in our life but we can't just have it all. We have to wait. So I waited and thank God it was good.

From the scores of my IELTS test, I have learned that:

1. Reading and Listening

I used to think that I am an introvert. But I guess I am more of an extrovert, or maybe an amalgamation of both. If we're going to base it on the results, it says a lot about my personality that I like to give more than receive (information only, haha). I like to speak and write than read and listen.

2. Suspense
The Lord is the greatest Humorist. He wants me to find humor in little things and appreciate every little things. He didn't want me to hurry. He wanted me to make the most of everything I have.

3. Fate
When I got the funds to take the test, I told God, "You wouldn't provide me with the money to pay if I can't pass it, right?" Like He wouldn't want me to work on it in the first place if I would only fail in the end. Again, His plans to prosper me and not to harm me.

In every test in life, we may feel inadequate, anxious and worried. However, if we trust in Him who knows everything, we will sure rise above all the trials that's trying to drown us. I know.

Update:

It's funny how most of my friends have been congratulating me about the "high"score even though I didn't post the meaning of each figures. Here's what each number means. So please stop telling me I have a high score because I know I didn't ace it well.

Band 9 Expert User
Has fully operation command of the language: appropriate, accurate and fluent with complete understanding.

Band 8 Very Good User
Has fully operational command of the language with only occasional unsystematic inaccuracies and inappropriacies (OMG! Blogger platform thinks that it's a misspelled word! Yikes it's from the official result,lol ) Misunderstandings may occur in unfamiliar situations. Handles complex detailed argumentation well.

Band 7 Good User
Has operational command of the language, though with occasional inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings in some situations. Generally handles complex language well and understands detailed reasoning.

Band 6 Competent User
Has generally effective command of the language despite some inaccuracies, inappropriacies and misunderstandings. Can use and understand fairly complex language, particularly in familiar situations.

Band 5 Modest User
as partial command of the language, coping with overall meaning in most situations, though is likely to make many mistakes. Should be able to handle basic communication in own field.

Band 4 Limited User
Basic competency is limited to familiar situations. Has frequent problems in understanding and expression. Is not able to use complex language.

Band 3 Extremely Limited User
Conveys and understands only general meaning in very familiar situations. Frequent breakdowns in communication occur.

Band 2 Intermittent User
No real communication is possible except for the most basic information using isolated words or short formulae (Dang Blogger, I'm starting to think that guys in Google are having Asperger Syndrome as this is relatively simple word why can't it be "misspelled") in familiar situations and to meet immediate needs. Has great difficulty understanding spoken and written English.

Band 1 Non User
Essentially has no ability to use the language beyond possibly a few isolated words. (Ouch! I hope no one gets that grade!)

Band 0
No assessable information provided.

16 comments:

Tedd said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog, u did rather well in ur IELTS.. congratz.. hehe

kimsan23 said...

congratulations on your IELTS test. :)

thanks for dropping by my blog.

un vrai ami said...

Hi Ted and Kimsan23,

Thanks so much. I know it must have been God's will. Thanks for dropping by! :)

Jonha

Jeff said...

Excellent Scores!! I think you write very well!! :-)

Jonha said...

Hi Jeff,

Thanks, I think I spoke better, haha

IELTS said...

Hi Jonha,

Your so great.=)
By the way Im doing a research about IELTS.I believe that you can help me by sharing your complaints or problems in IELTS test.Thank you.

nancy john said...

I am waiting for my IELTS result.

Julia Robert said...

Thanks for sharing this nice post.The test report score measures the consistency in each section of IELTS. Test takers can achieve band score from one to 9 band scale.

IELTS Test Results

nancy john said...

Skills in IELTS is very important for pass this test

IELTS Test

juliet said...

wow! ang galing naman. I am undergoing a review now for the IELTS test. I really I can get my target score! I really wanted to go to Canada!

martha victor said...

IELTS is not easy. Only students comprehension and analytical skills are important. Constant practice and confidence are needed for the IELTS. '


Analytical Essay Writing

sara said...

Thanks for the heads up! IELTS is very challenging and it should not be taken for granted. It needs time as well as constant review and practice.

ielts speaking question

nancy john said...

IELTS is not easy. Only students comprehension and analytical skills are important. Constant practice and confidence are needed for the IELTS. Review and train harder since the test fee is not that cheap. It is need to give it all.

IELTS essay

Faisal Usman said...

I was checking details about ielts exam that is coming next month. I selected British Council for my test. I was searching blog from where I can get some tips regarding practice test of ielts and found your blog simply awesome. I must say that you have provided really good information. I will follow your tips and surely I will get good result. Thanks for your blog and help!!

english language said...

I work with many 'highly skilled' migrants. Doctors in fact. And I can assure you that the requirement for an English language test is entirely necessary. I think you'll find you have to sit the IELTS test if applying to work in the UK or US as well.

IELTS Listening Strategy 1

english language said...

Great Blog! I am preparing for IELTS preparation & looking forward to get admitted to USA top university. I really enjoyed your blog and definitely share with friend. Thanks

Top Speaking Strategies for the IELTS Test